NEPDC grant awards support the development and commercialization of pediatric devices. Innovators are encouraged to submit proposals in one of two categories:
- Target Challenge - NEPDC has partnered with the pediatric care community to identify key issues currently impacting the lives of children. From this group of identified needs, two key areas are selected each year as the basis for a Target Challenge.
- General Submission – General Submission proposals typically focus on devices that address a clear pediatric need and have developed past the concept stage of design. Applications describing disruptive technologies as well as incremental technology improvements are welcome, as are pediatric technologies that may have limited market size but high potential for improving the life of a child.
All applications are submitted electronically through the NEPDC web-based submission system .
NEPDC offers financial, technical, business, and regulatory support to assist innovators with development and commercialization of pediatric devices. Awards are issued in two phases:
- Pre-Seed Awards: 40 hours of NEPDC resource assistance and up to $10,000 in discretionary funding over a 3 – 9 month project cycle.
- Seed Awards (requires successful completion of Pre-Seed Award): 200 hours of NEPDC resource assistance and up to $50,000 in discretionary funding over a 12 – 18 month project cycle.
To be considered for a NEPDC award, proposals must present a plan of work that will result in either a fully commercialized product or output (e.g. preliminary data, design prototype, business plan) that can then be leveraged for follow-on funding opportunities (federal and/or public sources). NEPDC encourages active participation and co-funding from alternative sources to insure the funds provided are available for hard costs of supplies, materials, and consultant support.
Due to the diversity and complexity of submitted device development proposals, NEPDC has instituted a two-phase application procedure. Those interested in seeking NEPDC assistance are required to first submit an Abstract. These brief product descriptions are reviewed by the NEPDC Leadership Team on a revolving basis throughout each year to determine if the product falls within NEPDC‘s expertise and mission. If selected, applicants will be invited to submit a Full Application. The invited Full Applications are reviewed by a committee of experts within the NEPDC community on a quarterly basis and assessed for:
- Impact on pediatric quality of life
- Market and business potential
- Technical feasibility
- Value added by NEPDC assistance
Each proposal is evaluated by at least three reviewers and graded on a categorical scale ranging from 1-5 (5 = best). Following review, a summary of the reviews is provided to each applicant along with a decision letter.
Upcoming Key Dates
Abstract: Revolving Application Window
Pre-Seed Application Deadline (invitation only): January 23, 2017 for general submission
Pre-Seed Notification of Award: Approximately three to four weeks following application submission deadline
If you have any questions while preparing your grant application, please contact the NEPDC Project Administrator.
Application Eligibility, Terms, & Conditions
Please click here for more details.